- With 5G you can surf even faster than today on the existing 4G networks.
- At the same time, you will notice a significant improvement in response time or latency, making the mobile network and applications even more responsive.
- We use growing data volumes (for video, music, gaming, etc.) and a growing number of devices (smartphones, sensors, video cameras …), all of which are connected simultaneously. 5G is the solution that supports an even greater number of devices, without any loss of quality and with greater reliability.
- 5G is also greener as less energy is used to transfer data.
Moving to 5G? Couldn't be easier
The 3 essentials for surfing in 5G
A 5G smartphone
(and check if 5G is enabled). If you need a 5G smartphone, go for a new or refurbished device (and consider recycling the old one).
A 5G subscription
You need a mobile subscription that gives you access to our 5G network to enjoy the best mobile experience.
The 5G network
5G is already available in 337 municipalities. And Proximus is investing to make it available all over Belgium. Can you already surf with 5G where you live?
The 3 advantages of 5G
Download 10 times faster! At last, streaming in ultra HD and smooth video calls, without frozen screen!
Perfect conditions for cloud gaming and virtual reality: an almost instantaneous, lag-free connection.
Even in crowds, when everyone is connected at the same time, your connection never cuts out or slows down.
Compare 5G with 4G
- Up to 10x faster than current 4G
- Speed up to 1 Gbps in 5G vs 110 Mbps in 4G
- Up to 90% less energy consumption in 5G
- Download a 1 GB movie: in 8 seconds in 5G vs. 80 seconds in 4G
Why 5G will change your life
Here's how 5G will speed things up for you: faster speed to download your movies or to video chat, more connected devices at concerts or sporting events, real-time responsiveness for gaming...
"We all know the frustration of streaming movies or series only to experience sudden freezes or endless loading. That's all in the past now! 5G makes your connection is super stable and smooth."
Lara, 28 years old, Antwerp
"Wow, such speed! 5G will allow me to game anywhere, alone or in a team, without latency, without interruptions. No more frustrating lags!"
Vincent, 39 years old, Mons
Experience Konoba's live concert in 5G
How about enjoying a live concert, anywhere in Belgium, as if you were there?
Check out the Konoba concert filmed at the Ancienne Belgique using 360° cameras and broadcast live, courtesy of our solid 5G network. Viewers were able to soak up the atmosphere, even remotely, thanks to virtual reality goggles.
Gaming in 5G? Lit!
During the Proximus ESL Championship Finals, pro gamers and their guests tested the performance of 5G by playing their favorite video games (Counter-Strike: Global Offensive and FIFA). Connection speed and low latency are 5G's perfect assets for online gaming!
You'll be also blown away by fiber speed!
Connect your home to fiber too and enjoy ultra-stable internet and amazing speeds
of up to 1 Giga per second, no matter how many devices are connected at the same time.
Does 5G have an impact on health?
Rest assured: according to the WHO, there is no evidence that 5G's underlying technology poses any health risk. 5G transmits in the same frequency range as 4G and Wi-Fi networks. No studies have shown negative effects.
Frequently asked questions
With your current smartphone you can call and surf the 2G/3G/4G network. You do need a compatible device or your smartphone will not be able to detect the 5G-network
Don't worry: If you have a 5G device but you are in an area without 5G coverage then you can still surf our 2G/3G/4G network.
We are constantly working with suppliers to expand our selection of 5G compatible smartphones as quickly as possible. Go to our website and discover our current range of 5G compatible smartphones.
To fully enjoy the benefits that 5G offers you also need a 5G tariff plan for your business or for private use.
5G is the 5th generation of mobile technologies. This new technology provides the infrastructure to shape the digital transformation of the future as it favours cloud computing and the integration of connected devices.
- Smart cities and a digital society will only be truly possible through the deployment of 5G.
- With 5G, you will surf even faster than today. The connection will be up to ten times faster than via existing 4G networks. At the same time the latency of your mobile network and apps will be reduced.
- 5G is the ideal solution to support greater consumption of data (video, music, games, etc.) and more connected devices (smartphones, sensors, video cameras, etc.) without loss of quality and with more high reliability.
Obviously all these benefits will not come at once. We have now started to progressively adapt our network and it will certainly take several years to fine-tune, as has been the case with the development of previous technologies.
Today’s 5G by Proximus already offers higher speeds and improved latency but not yet the full speed experience that will eventually be possible.
The launch of 5G does not involve additional CO2 emissions, on the contrary.
As a technology 5G is more energy-efficient than 4G, 3G and 2G, allowing for the transfer of more data with the same power consumption and also making the technology more environment-friendly.
Moreover, 100% of Proximus’ electricity supply comes from green energy, such as solar panels and wind turbines.
Self-driving cars, delivery drones, remote surgery… Thanks to its higher speed and a hyperactive network, 5G will revolutionise our lives in the years to come.
In all European countries, 5G is deployed within the framework of the safety standards set by international and independent organizations. As an independent organisation, the opinion of the World Health Organization (WHO) is clear: there is no evidence to suggest that the technology on which 5G is based endangers public health.
5G operates within the same frequency range as existing 2G, 3G, 4G and Wi-Fi networks. In the course of the last 30 years, numerous studies on the subject have not been able to establish any negative impact whatsoever.
At Proximus we address these concerns through constant research into new technologies and by keeping our customers informed and advising them on the necessary precautions.
Want to know everything there is to know about 5G in Belgium? Get all the answers to your questions about 5G
Wondering what 5G means?
5G stands for "5th Generation". 5G is the name given to the fifth generation of mobile network technology and is the next milestone in the evolution of wireless, after 1G, 2G, 3G and 4G.
5G is the successor to 4G (fourth generation), offering much higher speeds and hardly any latency. On 5G, latency does not exceed 1 millisecond, in comparison to up to 50 milliseconds on 4G.
How does 5G work?
Like previous generations, 5G runs over radio waves sent from antennas. But 5G is transported much more efficiently, calculating the precise amount of radiation needed to be sent towards the desired user.
5G allows networks to carry large data volumes more efficiently than 4G.
These are the 5 advantages of 5G:
- Faster speeds for downloading movies and series or for video chatting on the go.
- High responsiveness for data-intensive activities, such as cloud gaming or virtual reality.
- Reliable connections that allow you to stream content from virtually anywhere.
- More connected devices using a faster signal in the same geographical area, during large events, for example: 4G connects about 4,000 devices per square kilometer versus about 1 million devices with 5G.
- Low latency to enable drones and self-driving vehicles.
The Internet of Things, which comes down to connecting and adding intelligence to things like cars, sensors and robots, will also benefit from 5G. This technology will facilitate smart cities, connected agriculture, self-driving cars and transport...
What is the difference between fiber and 5G?
With 5G, you get to surf at fiber speed, but without the cable! With fiber and 5G you enjoy the fastest internet in Belgium.
5G, as fiber, reaches unprecedented speeds of up to 1 Gbps (Gbps or GIGA stands for gigabit per second and a gigabit or 1 GIGA is 1,000 megabits exchanged per second), guarantees a stable and reliable connection even in the busiest of places as well as almost instantaneous response time.
What is the 5G coverage like in Belgium?
5G is already available in about 200 sites, across 95 cities. 5G is already available all along the Belgian Coast.
Proximus is gradually rolling out the 5G network in the rest of the country, in Flanders, Brussels and Wallonia.
Want to know if you can already benefit from 5G where you live and work?Make sure you check the 5G map regularly.