From now on, you can call and send texts via your Wi-Fi with VoWiFi
Published on 11/03/2020 in Be the first to know
With Proximus you have an excellent network at your disposal, still at some places the coverage may be reduced. The presence of thick concrete walls in houses and offices, for example, or the thorough isolation of your home... block the signals. But we’ve got the perfect solution: VoWiFi!
- For all Proximus customers
- No extra cost: you don't pay more than your normal calls or texts, whether you use Wi-Fi or the mobile network
- Quick activation: follow the steps and get started right away
From now on, you can easily be reached on your smartphone everywhere in Belgium where Wi-Fi is available. With VoWiFi (Voice over Wi-Fi), you can make and receive calls and send and receive text messages via the Wi-Fi network!
It's very simple: you don't need any applications, new contact list or new login. All you need is a compatible mobile phone, active VoWifi and to be connected to a Wi-Fi network at home or elsewhere.
1. No extra costs
There is no additional charge for using Proximus VoWiFi.
- VoWiFi calls are billed like mobile voice calls on the Proximus network, depending on your plan’s allowance of minutes.
- VoWiFi calls to foreign countries are charged the same as calls to foreign countries from the mobile network.
- Sending text messages via Wi-Fi is counted and billed like text messages on mobile networks.
2. Which smartphone do you have?
You’re using an iPhone?
You have a Samsung smartphone?
First check if your type of device is listed among the devices that we currently support. If this is the case, you can follow a few steps to activate Wi-Fi calling on your mobile phone.
- You need a compatible smartphone with the latest software that supports Wi-Fi calling and 4G.
- Check here if your smartphone is already supported
- If your smartphone is supported, check if you have the right software on your device. If this is not the case please do an update.
- You are under the Wi-Fi coverage of, and logged on to, a wireless access point in Belgium, regardless of the provider.
- Have a Proximus mobile phone subscription and the VoWiFi (= Wi-Fi Calling) option must be switched on. You can activate Wi-Fi Calling in the settings of your mobile phone.
- Make sure that Wi-Fi Calling is ON
If all the above conditions are met, you can use Wi-Fi Calling! Note: sometimes you may need to restart your device to effectively activate the feature.
Make your call and if the mobile network is not strong enough, your call will be made over the Wi-Fi network. If the mobile network is strong enough, your call will be made over the mobile network as usual.
3. Questions about Wi-Fi calling?
How does Wi-Fi calling work?
During your voice call, your smartphone automatically connects to the most appropriate network to provide you the best calling experience possible.
If your mobile coverage is good you will be using the 4G cellular network with excellent call quality. But in case this 4G coverage is weak, the device will switch to Wi-Fi seamlessly and your voice call will continue. When leaving the area with weak coverage, the device will switch back automatically and your call continues.