Android’s Enterprise Partner Summit 2017
Published on 09/03/2017 in News
Android’s Enterprise Partner Summit 2017 was a technology provider event with big ambitions. To show this to the world Android changed the name of its umbrella that groups all its enterprise focussed initiatives from ‘Android For Work’ to ‘Android Enterprise’.
Android has been a revolution in the mobility space since 2007 and has been growing ever since. Today almost 70% of all mobile devices run on Google’s baby. But the enterprise mobility environment is a whole different ball game than the consumer market. For business, security, uniformity & manageability are key. Today only 30% of all EMM managed mobile devices in business run on Android. Apple’s iOS platform has been dominating the business market.
At the Android Enterprise Partner Summit 2017 Google confirmed to leave its mark in the enterprise space in the coming years, investing more in things that matter for business in terms of security, manageability & uniformity. To show this to the world Android changed the name of its umbrella that groups all its enterprise focussed initiatives from ‘Android For Work’ to ‘Android Enterprise’.
What are the most important things we’ve learned?
- Key improvements in terms of Security:
Security is a key focus point of enterprise mobility. These are the most important areas where Android scores in terms of security.
- Verify Apps: A 2 way security principle embedded into Android and configured out of the box. Only if an app passes all security checks, it will end up being published. On top of that Google continues to scan the app during its lifecycle.
- Reduction in security update cycle: Google wants to reduce the time frame to maximum 1 week.
- Android security research & verification ecosystem: 3th party security researches for securing Android.
- Improvement on App management:
Improvements with one common goal: Remove the need for businesses to allow the installation of application from external sources (a.k.a side loaded apps).
- Private Play Store: Administrators will be enabled to publish a native Play Store but with Enterprise capabilities.
- Integration of verify apps in EMM: A new management API enables administrators to enforce the Verify Apps option through there EMM solution. End users won’t be able to turn off the function.
- Improvements in deployment of devices:
- QR enrolment: Automated enrolment and configuration of devices within a minute.
- App Identifier enrolment: Procedure to automatically download one or more applications on the device.
- Better support for the EMM eco-system: Every business with a mobile strategy is investing in the right EMM solution. With Android Enterprise Google is really offering a solution to target this. By far the biggest improvement area for Android.
Google has understood what matters for the business in terms of security, manageability & uniformity and is investing in the right areas. We see a bright future for Android in the enterprise, specifically in two domains:
- Small & Medium Sized (SME) companies.
- Any business which is looking to improve business processes throughout the organization by giving non-knowledge workers access to a relevant set of mobile devices & applications to improve their work.
Want to know more?
Want to know more on how to tackle your mobility challenges? Don’t hesitate to contact a Proximus store or your account manager.