Set up your mobile or tablet as a mobile hotspot
You no longer have internet at home or in the office, but you can still connect via mobile internet on your mobile or tablet? Or you are in a place without Wi-Fi and you want to give someone else access to your mobile internet connection? Then you can temporarily set up your mobile or tablet as a mobile hotspot.
Note: a mobile hotspot is not the same as a Proximus Public Wi-Fi hotspot.
What is a mobile hotspot?
With a mobile hotspot, you can share the mobile internet connection of your mobile or tablet with other devices. What are the consequences on your usage?
Your mobile phone or tablet is connected via mobile internet and the mobile hotspot is active on your device.
You use data from your mobile data bundle.
Another device connects to your mobile or tablet via Wi-Fi by entering your mobile hotspot's name and password.
This device also consumes data from your mobile data bundle. Please note that this may result in additional data usage, so turn off your mobile hotspot when you no longer need it.
Switch the mobile hotspot on your mobile or tablet on or off
Follow the steps to activate the mobile hotspot on your Android or iOS device.
Note: The menu options on your device may have a slightly different name. This depends on the brand and version of your device.
- Tap Settings.
- Tap on the Connections or (Wireless and) Network menu.
- Tap Mobile hotspot and tethering. On some devices, this option may also be called Tethering (and mobile hotspot) or Tethering (and portable Wi-Fi Hotspot). Don't see this option? Tap the options icon at the top right.
- Tap Mobile hotspot. On some devices, this option may also be called Wi-Fi hotspot or Portable hotspot.
- Choose Set up mobile hotspot by tapping the options icon at the top right.
- Under Network name (SSID), choose a name for your mobile hotspot (e.g. Ann's mobile).
- Under Security, choose WPA2/PSK.
- Under Password, choose a password.
- Tap Save.
- Move the slider next to mobile hotspot to the right to turn it on. To turn off your mobile hotspot afterwards, move the slider to the left again.
Your mobile hotspot is now active on your Android device.
To connect another device (e.g. a laptop or PC) to your mobile hotspot, connect via Wi-Fi with the network name and password of your mobile hotspot.
iOS (iPhone or iPad)
- Tap Settings.
- Tap Personal Hotspot. Don't see this option? Tap Cellular first.
- Tap Wi-Fi Password.
- Under Password, enter a password of at least 8 characters, and tap Done.
- If a pop-up appears, choose Turn on Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. Otherwise, go straight to the next step.
- Next to personal hotspot, move the slider to the right to turn it on. To turn off your mobile hotspot afterwards, move the slider to the left again.
Your mobile hotspot is now active on your iPhone of iPad. Need more help? For more information, see how to set up a personal hotspot on your iPhone or iPad on apple.com.
To connect another device to your mobile hotspot (e.g. a laptop or PC), connect via Wi-Fi to your iPhone or iPad and enter the password for your mobile hotspot.