What is a Public Wi-Fi hotspot?
You can connect to a Public Wi-Fi hotspot. But what exactly is it?
A Public Wi-Fi hotspot is a place where you can surf the Internet for free if you have a Proximus Internet subscription. For each mobile subscription you have in a Pack, you get an extra free access.
Do you only have a Proximus mobile subscription? Then you can take Public Wi-Fi as an option for 5 euros per month.
These are the features of Public Wi-Fi:
- You are surfing at a maximum speed of 50 Mbps.
- Public Wi-Fi is available in Belgium. Due to the limited number of users abroad, the presence of Wi-Fi in most hotels and the changed roaming charges in the EU, the FON Wi-Fi hotspots will no longer be available abroad from 01/01/2019.
- When mobile Internet (4G and 3G) and Public Wi-Fi are activated on your device, you will automatically be connected to a Public Wi-Fi hotspot if there is one nearby and you will keep your Internet connection during the switchover.
- Each mobile subscription has its own volume for Public Wi-Fi. If you use the volume of your Internet subscription, it will automatically be deducted from your monthly Internet consumption. If you've exceeded your internet volume, the connection will not be disconnected, but the speed will be reduced to 128 Kbps.
- If you have a Proximus Internet subscription, your modem, by default, serves as a Public Wi-Fi hotspot for other users:
- We limit the number of visitors and their consumption on your Public Wi-Fi hotspot. This does not affect the quality of your connection or TV signal.
- You are not responsible for the actions of visitors on your Public Wi-Fi hotspot.
- Do you prefer not to use your modem as a Public Wi-Fi hotspot? Turn off the Public Wi-Fi hotspot on your modem. You can therefore still use the Public Wi-Fi hotspots in other locations.
Did you find this helpful?